Dr. Curtis Rogers discusses some "legendary locals" of the Upstate and Lowcountry of South Carolina with Sarah Pettus and Kerry Jeyschune. Sarah discusses Legendary Locals of Greenville by Cindy Landrum, which features Hattie Logan Duckett, Johnnie Mac Walters, and Edvard Tchivzhel. Kerry highlights Legendary Locals of Hilton Head by Barbara Muller, which features General Quincy Adams Gillmore, the Mauney Family, and Harriet Tubman.
Dr. Curtis Rogers discusses items from the Library's collection with Sarah Pettus and Kerry Jeyschune from the Collections and Digitization department. Featured in this episode are:
- The Official Guide to South Carolina State Parks by the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- 50 Hikes in South Carolina by Johnny Molloy
- Best Dog Hikes South Carolina by Melissa Watson
- Beginner’s Guide to Fishing by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- The Southern Surfcaster by S. Cameron Wright
- South Carolina’s Guide to Freshwater Fishes by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- Shorebirds of the Southeast and Gulf States by Stan Tekiela and the Adventure Quick Guides
- South Carolina Film Location Guide by the South Carolina Film Commission
In this episode, Sarah and Kerry discuss some poetry-related items from our collection. Kerry tells us all about Helen von Kolnitz Hyer who was the second poet laureate of South Carolina and has three different books in our collection. Sarah talks about two books: A Season in the Hour: Poems from the Prisons of South Carolina from Frank Graziano and Home is Where: an Anthology of African American Poetry from the Carolinas from Kwame Dawes.
Books by Helen von Kolnitz Hyer:
- Danger never sleeps (1970) – A collection of poetry.
- What the Wind Forgets: A Woman’s Heart Remembers (1975) – Written to honor Archibald Rutledge, the first poet laureate and someone she considered a mentor and friend.
- Santee Songs (1923) – From our rare books collection.
- Find more information about Helen in the South Carolina Encyclopedia.