Dr. Curtis Rogers discusses writing and more with South Carolina author, Robbie Boman. Robbie is the author of Miracles of South Carolina, More Miracles of South Carolina, and Miracles of the Upstate. She has written for South Carolina newspapers and was an adjunct English instructor at North Greenville University. You can find Robbie's books available through your local public library or on Amazon.com.
Dr. Curtis Rogers learns about unique fairy tales with the Library's Collections Management and Digitization department staff members, Sarah Pettus and Kerry Jeyschune. In this episode, Sarah and Kerry tell us about tales from books available from the State Library's collection:
- The Legend of Eilean Donan Castle from Scottish Folk-Tales and Legends, by Barbara Ker Wilson
- The Old Man’s Daughter from Fairy Tales and Legends from Romania by Ioana Sturdza
- The Enchanted Pig from the Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
- Butterflies from Folk Tales from Korea by In-sŏb Zŏng
In this first episode of BibliObservatory, Caroline Smith, Inclusive Services Consultant, interviews co-host of this series, Ivette Villarreal, who searches the connection between people’s favorite books or stories heard in childhood and how those stories define their lives.
Her earliest memories take her to the stories of Uncle Tiger & Uncle Rabbit retold by her father. These traditional tales from her homeland Venezuela amused her as an infant and also played an important role later when she came across the legacy of Rafael Rivero Oramas, a Venezuelan storyteller and filmmaker, who dedicated his life to children’s literacy efforts in his country.
Encouraged by those joyful remembrances, she created BibliObservatory, a multimedia platform to promote children’s and teens literacy through storytelling by engaging them in active listening and mindful conversations; In BibliObservatory the magnificence of the universe seen from a child’s eye converge with a poem by Rubén Darío (Nicaragua) in which the book is a telescope to explore oral stories that creates awareness of each individual´s uniqueness.
- Uncle Rabbit, Tío Conejo Venezuelan trickster tales
- Video Clip, Rafael Rivero Oramas (Tío Nicolás)
- El Universo de los Cuentos. Mato, Sol. April 29, 2015
- Darío, Rubén. Selected Writings. New York: Penguin Books, 2005
BibliObservatory Episode 1: English Transcript